4.12.2011

An Ideal Reading Experience

When I read, I usually listen to music on the train to silence the noise of people’s obnoxiously loud conversations, or breakdancers clapping repeatedly with a stereo blasting remixes of Michael Jackson songs. When these particular scenarios arise, I pair up my reading with some smooth R&B music, and it helps me go through each page with ease, and without any distractions. I chatted with some people to see what people were reading, as well as what flowed through their headphones at the same time.

The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century by George Friedman

As I was heading to school on the No. 6 train, which runs on the East Side of New York, I met Jason Ayala, 24, a senior at Baruch College, who was reading a hardcover book, called The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century by George Friedman, an American political scientist and author. Jason mentions the book is American centric, but it provides insight on international politics and war. He was particularly interested on the author’s information about up-and-coming countries like Turkey and Poland as well as his predictions on the future on the coming century. Before I spoke with Jason, he was listening to Coldplay, a favorite alternative rock band of mine as well, on his black Bose headphones. He started listen to music on the train because he couldn’t concentrate with all the different noises during his hour long commute from the Bronx.

“It’s much better,” said Jason, who also listens to bands such as Maroon 5 and OneRepublic while reading. “I don’t want to hear others disturb me while I’m trying to understand an analysis or storyline. It’s hard to read while someone is on their cell venting out relationship problems. Music helps me zone in on the book.”

The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company by David Kirkpatrick

After classes, I took a walk downtown to a Barnes & Noble on Fifth Avenue. I caught up on some reading at their Starbucks café, and met Susan Violetti, 27, from Lower East Side of New York, beside me reading a paperback of David Kirkpatrick’s The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company, which is a New York Times Bestseller. She enjoyed watching The Social Network, a movie version about Facebook, but she wanted to know more about the back-story and all the drama of how Facebook grew from nothing to a world changing company. So far, she learned the economic growth of the company, as well as in-depth critiques on certain features of Facebook, such as the “News Feed.” She mentions how it was a controversial issue over privacy because it watches friends’ activities, and some reacted negatively because they felt “stalked” every time they update their profile or status. Before we spoke, she was listening to a variety of cover songs by the cast of Glee with her white in-ear Apple headphones, which was connected to her black laptop while she was reading. She prefers her iTunes library instead of the music being played in Barnes & Noble.

“Their music is boring,” said Susan, who believes herself to have an eclectic taste. “Whenever I come here, I usually just select shuffle on my iTunes and I know, whatever pops up, will be better than the rotation of music they got going on here. I don’t like going back to a chapter because of the distractions so I put my headphones on. Reading always needs some good background music.”

Saving Rachel by John Locke

After my study session at Barnes & Noble, I walked a few blocks to Bryant Park, which is located between Fifth Avenue and Broadway, and took advantage of the gorgeous, springtime weather in New York. It’s something our city hasn’t had in awhile, and Victor Sharpe, who was reading his Kindle, agreed with me. The 32-year-old was reading Saving Rachel by John Locke, an American writer of contemporary crime fiction and non-fiction. Victor recommends the book for any fans of mystery and romance. He spoke about how the storyline centered on Sam Case, a wealthy character who is caught in a love triangle, and is torn between his wife and his mistress. After talking about the book, we discussed the subject of listening to music at the same time. He simply disagreed, and felt the lyrics of an artist distracts him from the narration of an author.

“My mind can’t multitask,” said Victor, who usually prefers to read in silence at his home. “If I listen to my iPod while I read, I find that I’m concentrating more on what the singer is saying rather than what the book is. I like to visualize the story in my mind, and if there’s music going on, it makes me lose focus.”

Bossypants by Tina Fey

As I was waiting at the 14th Street station for the No. 5 train, which runs on the East Side of New York, I met Claire McBride, who was reading Bossypants by Tina Fey, a famous television actress and writer who released her book earlier this month. Claire is a big fan of hers, and was able to get a signed copy while she was promoting it at the Barnes & Noble I mentioned earlier. She told me the book was a memoir of her early life from writing for Saturday Night Live to her creation of her favorite television show, 30 Rock. She particularly loved the advice Tina gives for women on how to make it in a male-dominated industry. After ranting about her obsession with the actress, we talked about the subject of listening to music while reading.

“Nothing with lyrics,” said Claire, who uploads only contemporary-sounding instrumentals into her Nook, such as Explosions in the Sky, an American instrumental post-rock band. “I think listening to music while reading can be disruptive, but an instrumental can sometimes pair well with the mood of a particular storyline. It definitely puts you in a better place.”

What do you prefer? Reading in silence or with music flowing from one ear to the other? Anyone have any other good recommendations? Sound off below.

No comments:

Post a Comment